Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available to those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. There are two main programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty
    For active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.
    Benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from honorable active service.
  • Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve
    For Reservists with a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve who are actively drilling.
    Your eligibility for the program ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

Post 9/11 GI Bill

For approved programs, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits. 

If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitation for use of benefits.  For individuals whose last discharge date is on or after January 1, 2013, the time limitation has been removed. 

For more information click HERE.

Vocational Rehabilitation

You may receive Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching for those who are disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.


Active Duty Servicemembers are eligible if they:

  • Expect to receive an honorable or other than dishonorable discharge upon separation from active duty
  • Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and
  • Apply for VR&E services


  • Are participating in the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) or are certified by the military as having a severe injury or illness that may prevent them from performing their military duties
  • Apply for VR&E services, and
  • Report for an evaluation with a VR&E counselor before separating from active duty

Veterans are eligible if they:

  • Have received a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA
  • Apply for VR&E services

Basic period of Eligibility

The basic period of eligibility ends 12 years from the date of notification of one of the following:

  • Date of separation from active military service, or
  • Date the Veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.

For more information click HERE.

Wisconsin GI Bill

The Wisconsin GI Bill waives full tuition and segregated fees for eligible veterans and their dependents for up to eight semesters or 128 credits, whichever is greater, at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System school​.


Qualifying Veteran

A qualifying Veteran is either a current Wisconsin resident who was either:

  • A Wisconsin resident at the time of entry into active military service.
  • A Wisconsin resident for at least five consecutive years preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which he or she registers at a qualifying institution.

Eligible Family Member

A qualifying Veteran’s spouse or child may use this benefit if the Veteran has been awarded a service connected disability rating of at least 30% by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or died in the line of duty or as a result of a service connected disability.
The spouse or child must meet the same residency requirements as the Veteran.

Military Service Requirements

The individual upon whom eligibility is based (qualifying Veteran) must meet one of the following:

  • Served on active duty 90 days or more during a war period
  • Served on active duty at least two continuous years or full initial service obligation during peacetime
  • Regardless of length of active duty, was honorably discharged due to:
    • Service-connected disability
    • Disability subsequently adjudicated to have been service connected
    • Reduction in the U.S. armed forces
  • Received the:
    • Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
    • Vietnam Service Medal
    • Navy Expeditionary Medal
    • Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal
  • Served for any period under Section 1 of Executive Order 10957 dated August 10, 1961

For more information click HERE.

Dependent Education Assistance

If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has VA service connected disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training. Dependent Education Assistance (DEA) is a monetary benefit that can be used for whatever is needed.


You may be able to get these benefits if both you and the Veteran or service member meet certain eligibility requirements.

One of the descriptions below must be true. The Veteran or service member:

  • Is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or
  • Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability, or
  • Is missing in action or was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force, or
  • Was forcibly detained (held) or interned in the line of duty by a foreign entity, or
  • Is in the hospital or getting outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability (effective December 23, 2006)

If you’re the child of a Veteran or service member

  • You can get benefits if you’re between the ages of 18 and 26, except in certain cases. You may be married or unmarried.
  • If you’re over 18 years old and using DEA, you can’t get Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) from the VA.

If you’re the spouse of a Veteran or service member

  • Your benefits start on the date we conclude that you qualify or on the date of the Veteran’s death, and last for 10 years.
  • If we rated the Veteran as permanently and totally disabled, with an effective date that’s 3 years after discharge, you’ll qualify for benefits for 20 years from that effective date. This new policy began on October 10, 2008. We won’t pay benefits for training you started before this date.
  • If the service member died on active duty, your benefits end 20 years from the date of death.
  • You can get DIC payments from the VA and use DEA benefits.

For more information click HERE.